Call for art submissions by Indigenous artists in Canada
The Indigenous and Northern Affairs Canada (INAC) Indigenous Art Centre invites Indigenous artists to apply to the peer juried Indigenous Art Acquisition Program 2018-2019, as outlined in this call for submissions.
What is the Indigenous Art Collection?
The Indigenous Art Collection in Gatineau, Quebec is one of the most significant public art collections of contemporary Indigenous art in Canada. Since the early 1960s, the Indigenous Art Centre has been collecting works by living artists to create a unique collection that represents the artistic practices of community-based and urban Indigenous artists throughout Canada.
The Indigenous Art Collection includes a variety of works by established, mid-career, and emerging Indigenous artists, such as:
- mixed media
The Indigenous Art Centre also has more than 40 years of experience in promoting the art of Indigenous artists in Canada and abroad through:
- its art institution lending program
- international projects
- research facilities for national and international scholars and curators
- artists must be of First Nations, Métis, or Inuit ancestry
- artists must be 18 years of age or older
- artworks must be in excellent condition and available for shipping and purchase
- artworks must be created after 2012 and preferably be unframed and unmatted
- artworks in all media accepted (for example: new media, customary, print, painting, photography, drawing, sculpture, textile)
- a completed application form. (If you don't have access to the electronic application form, please request one at: firstname.lastname@example.org )
- a list of up to five works of art with five digital images total
- format: JPG format only
- image size: 17.7 cm X 12.7 cm or 7'' x 5''
- resolution: no more than 100 dpi on CD or by e-mail
- a short artist statement about each work submitted (if applicable)
- an artist biography and curriculum vitae or page 2 of the application form
- please do not send original artworks with your application
The deadline to submit is April 30, 2018. Late or incomplete submissions will not be reviewed.
Submissions or requests for more information can be sent by mail, telephone, fax, or e-mail to:
Indigenous Art Centre Acquisition Program, 2018-19
Indigenous Art Centre
Indigenous and Northern Affairs Canada
10 rue Wellington, Room 928
Gatineau QC K1A OH4