Call for proposals: First Nations education community-level discussions
As part of First Nations education transformation, the Government of Canada is providing up to $3.1 million to coordinate and support parent and community-level discussions on First Nations kindergarten to grade 12 education.
About this call
This call for proposals to support community-level discussions is part of First Nations education transformation. It is funded through Indigenous and Northern Affairs Canada (INAC)'s New Paths for Education program.
This funding will provide opportunities for First Nations organizations and First Nations not represented by an organization to identify how the Government of Canada can best support their efforts to improve the education outcomes of First Nations students. The voices of First Nations are essential in determining a way forward for kindergarten to grade 12 education systems on reserve.
Funding is limited to eligible activities outlined under the Parental and Community Engagement section of the New Paths for Education – National Program Guidelines 2016-2017.
Eligible community-level discussion activities may include:
- other discussion forums that allow for parents and community members to share views on education transformation and academic success
Eligible expenses may include:
- facility rentals
- materials and supplies
- honoraria for Elders and guest speakers
- professional services and consulting fees
- purchase of learning or instructional materials
- other expenses that directly support community level discussions
Priority will be given to proposals that:
- provide a detailed description of planned community-level activities, such as:
- total number of communities involved
- types of activities planned that demonstrate community engagement initiatives focused on discussions on First Nations kindergarten to grade 12 education (gatherings, town halls, focus groups, etc.)
- number of sessions planned
- other details
- focus on:
- community-wide engagement and outreach(including youth, Elders, parents, teachers, educators and education administrators)
This call for proposals does not replace the annual 2016-2017 New Paths for Education call for proposals. Once available, information about the annual call for proposals will be posted on INAC's Call for proposals page.
Funding recipients will be asked to share discussion results that could shape the next steps in the engagement process, and any recommendations on how the Government of Canada can work together with First Nations to shape the future vision of First Nations education.
Who can apply?
- First Nations organizations south of 60
- First Nations south of 60 who are not represented by an organization
The Government of Canada, Yukon First Nations and the Government of Yukon are continuing to work through the joint memorandum of understanding that outlines our shared commitment to help improve First Nations student outcomes within the public education system. Under the Education Partnership Program, INAC has provided funding to the Council of Yukon First Nations to support this important work in 2016-2017.
The deadline to submit proposals was midnight Eastern Time (ET) on November 25, 2016.
The deadline for final report submission is midnight Eastern Time (ET) on May 15, 2017.
How to apply?
Contact your INAC regional office. Education officers will provide a proposal template and directions for filling it out, and are available to provide further guidance.
- Date modified: