What are the photo requirements?
Find out about the photo requirements for a secure status card.
What are the photo specifications?
If you are applying for a secure status card or need to renew or replace a card, you need to get two identical Canadian passport-style photos.
The photo can be in colour or black and white and must be:
- sized so the height of the face measures between 31 mm and 36 mm ( 1 1/4 inches and 1 7/16 inches) from chin to crown of head (natural top of head)
- of a total dimension of 50 mm wide x 70 mm high (2 inches wide x 2 3/4 inches high)
- clear, sharp and in focus
- taken with a neutral facial expression (eyes open and clearly visible, mouth closed)
- taken with uniform lighting, without shadows, glare or flash reflections
- taken straight on, with face and shoulders centered and squared to the camera
- taken in front of a plain white or light-coloured background, with a clear difference between the face and the background
- must reflect or represent natural skin tones
- original photos that are not altered in any way or taken from an existing photo
- taken within the last year and reflect subject's current appearance
- professionally printed on plain, high-quality photographic paper
What needs to be on the back of one photo?
- name and complete address of the photographer or studio
- date the photo was taken, not the date the photo was printed (The photographer may use a stamp or handwrite this information; stick-on labels are not accepted.)
- the guarantor, if one is needed, must sign and date the photo and clearly write: "This is a true likeness of (name of adult applicant or name of child or dependent adult)."
What else do you need to consider?
- Glasses may be worn in photos as long as the eyes are clearly visible and there is no glare in the glasses.
- Sunglasses and tinted eye glasses are not accepted.
- Photos with the red-eye effect or red-eye alterations are not accepted.
- Hats and head coverings are not accepted, unless worn daily for religious beliefs or medical reasons. The full face must be clearly visible and the head covering must not cast any shadows on the face.
- Hair can be worn down.
What about child photos?
For child photos, the same specifications as those indicated under What are the photo specifications apply.
- Photos must show the child's head and shoulders only. Parent's or child's hands must not appear in the photo.
- Minor variations to get a neutral expression in a newborn are allowed.
For newborns, the photo may be taken while the child is sitting in a car seat, as long as a white blanket is placed over the seat behind the child's head.
United States passport photo specifications are not the same and do not meet the secure certificate of Indian status photo specifications.