ARCHIVED - Consultation Process on First Nation Elementary and Secondary Education
This Web page has been archived on the Web. Archived information is provided for reference, research or record keeping purposes. It is not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards and has not been altered or updated since it was archived. Please contact us to request a format other than those available.
On June 12, 2013, the Minister of Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development sent a letter to all First Nation Chiefs and Councils, including Grand Chiefs, to provide an update on the consultation process and to outline the next steps in the development of a proposed approach to a First Nation Education Act. As the consultation process moves forward, the Government has released a Blueprint for Legislation which sets out the Government of Canada's proposed approach to a First Nation Education Act and has been informed by the work of the National Panel on First Nation Elementary and Secondary Education, as well as recent consultations undertaken between December 2012 and May 2013. The Blueprint has been shared with First Nation Chiefs and Councils, First Nation organizations, provincial governments and others with an expertise or interest in First Nation education for feedback.
What information is available?
- October 22, 2013: Working Together for First Nation Students: A Proposal for a Bill on First Nation Education
- October 22, 2013: Letter to First Nation Leadership on the Proposal for a Bill on First Nations Education
- Concerns and Responses on a Proposal for a Bill on First Nations Education
- July 12, 2013: July 12, 2013 Letter to First Nation Leadership
- July 12, 2013: Developing a First Nation Education Act: A Blueprint for Legislation
- Brochure: First Nation Elementary and Secondary Education Consultations
- December 11, 2012: Government of Canada announces the start of the Government's intensive consultations with First Nations on the development of a First Nation Education Act
- December 11, 2012: Discussion Guide is now available
- National Panel report on First Nations Elementary and Secondary Education (Final Report)
- Date modified: