New Paths for Education
This program funds projects and activities designed to improve the quality of education in First Nation schools and to enhance the educational experiences of students, teachers, administrators, parents and communities.
Budget 2016 is investing:
- $55 million in 2018-19 to support First Nations language and culture. This targeted support is intended to improve the effectiveness of classroom instruction through curriculum and language development.
- $6 million in 2018-19 to support the application of the latest education innovations to First Nations education. The 2018-2019 call for proposals for innovation activities is now open.
- $1.5 million in 2018-19 to support Research, Measurement, Evaluation and Knowledge Transfer activities. The selected 2017-18 projects run for two years, so there is no call this year for these activities.
The 2018-2019 call for regular regional and national New Paths proposals from band councils, or organizations designated by band councils, is now open. The deadline to submit a proposal is May 1, 2018 at 11:59 p.m. Eastern Standard Time (EST).
About the program
With an annual budget of $50 million, New Paths funds a variety of school-based projects directly involving First Nations students, parents and caregivers, teachers and communities. Funds can also be provided to First Nation education authorities and regional education/management organizations to build capacity and develop governance for local schools. The level of funding for successful proposals is determined on a case-by-case basis, and depends overall on available funding both nationally and regionally.
Projects funded under New Paths are designed to produce long-term benefits that will improve education quality and academic achievement of First Nation students, including:
- reduced teacher turnover
- enhanced coordination and support of First Nation education programs and services
- increased use and maintenance of First Nation languages
- increased availability and use of culturally appropriate and relevant curricula
- increased level of computer literacy
- enhanced quality and quantity of data to monitor and improve academic progress
- increased involvement of parents and communities in the education system
- enhanced awareness of the importance of education to potential career paths
The specific objectives of the program are to:
- strengthen First Nations education management and governance capacity by developing local and educational institutional capacity
- improve the effectiveness of classroom instruction through curriculum and language development, improvements to instructional methods and school activities
- support community and parental involvement in the education of children and youth
- assist band-operated schools to recruit and retain qualified teachers and educators, and to provide them with professional development opportunities
- enhance technical knowledge in schools
For 2018-2019, there is one additional call for proposals for activities beyond the regular New Paths program call described on this page with further specific objectives:
Who can apply?
Band councils, or organizations designated by band councils, may submit proposals for regular New Paths funding.
For the 2018-2019 Innovation call, only national organizations designated by band councils may apply. Consult Innovation activities for more requirements.
The deadline to submit a proposal for regular New Paths funding is May 1, 2018 at 11:59 p.m. Eastern Standard Time (EST).
The deadline to submit a proposal for Innovation activities is May 15, 2018 at 11:59 p.m. Eastern Standard Time (EST).
There is no 2018-19 Call for Proposals for Research, Measurement, Evaluation and Knowledge Transfer activities, as all funds have already been allocated.
How to apply?
Proposals for regular New Paths funding are accepted once a year through a call for proposals. You can apply for regional funding or if your project covers more than one region you can apply for national funding. The process and the forms are the same. A sample proposal form is available.
For the Innovation call, please consult Innovation activities to find out how to apply.
For regular New Paths funding at either the regional or national level, applicants must:
- submit detailed electronic proposals for all projects to be funded
- indicate in the form that you are applying for regional or national funding
- show how your activity will fulfill at least one of the New Paths program's objectives
If you have access to Indigenous Service Canada's Services Portal:
- use the electronic form by opening a session on the portal.
If you do not have access to the portal:
Applicants are strongly encouraged to closely review the New Paths for Education: National Program Guidelines 2018-2019 before submitting an application.
To find out more contact Indigenous Services Canada
- by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- by telephone at 1-800-567-9604 and ask to speak to an Education officer