ARCHIVED - Policy on Transfer Payments - Implementation
This Web page has been archived on the Web. Archived information is provided for reference, research or record keeping purposes. It is not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards and has not been altered or updated since it was archived. Please contact us to request a format other than those available.
On October 1, 2008, the Treasury Board of Canada Secretariat (TBS) issued a Policy on Transfer Payments and a Directive on Transfer Payments (PTP) that affects all recipients of federal grants and contributions, including First Nations, Inuit, Métis and other funding recipients. Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development Canada worked towards implementation for more than a year and phased in initial implementation of the PTP by March 31, 2011.
To comply with the PTP, AANDC made administrative changes to departmental business processes, program terms and conditions and funding agreement requirements. The changes focused on:
- Administrative requirements on recipients that are proportionate to the level of risk associated with entering into a funding agreement;
- Modification and standardization of Funding Agreements; and
- Additional contribution funding approaches for use with Aboriginal recipients.
AANDC committed to and undertook extensive outreach and engagement activities to support the implementation of the PTP. Engagement began in December 2009 and continued until the implementation target date of March 2011. Independent of the PTP, AANDC programs have been and will continue to engage recipients and other interested parties, as deemed appropriate.
Engagement activities were undertaken by Regional Offices and Program Sectors with First Nations, Inuit, Métis and other recipient organization administrations on the overall implementation initiative, funding agreement models and recipient general risk assessment (GA) tool and the department's Default Prevention and Management Policy.
What information is available?
- See the Transfer Payments section of AANDC's website for information, such as answers to some frequently asked questions, backgrounders and the General Assessment (GA), the National Funding Agreement Models and the Default Prevention and Management Policy.
- TBS Policy on Transfer Payments and Directive on Transfer Payments.
- Date modified: