Lands and Trust Services
This program fulfills the Government of Canada's ongoing fiduciary and statutory obligations.
Registration, Revenue and Band Governance
This service is directly related to Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development Canada's (AANDC) responsibilities under the Indian Act and includes:
- Maintaining the Indian Band register
- Assisting people who wish to apply for status Indian reinstatement under Bill C-31
- Helping Bands establish their own membership rules
- Maintaining adoption records
Additional responsibilities include:
- Providing Indian Status certificates
- Making Treaty payments
- Fulfilling statutory obligations established under Treaty 8 and 11
- Advising on band by-law development
Trust and Estates
Trust and Estates administer funds held in trust for individuals and/or Bands. The daily administration of estates, in accordance with the Indian Act, is contracted under formal agreement to the Government of the Northwest Territories Public Trustee. For more information on estates contact the Public Trustee's office at (867) 873-7464 or Toll Free at 1-866-535-0423.
For information on Registration, Revenue, Band Governance or Trust and Estates, please call (867) 669-2619 or Toll Free at 1-888-414-4340.
- Date modified: