Land Management and Ownership

In the Northwest Territories, land is either owned, managed, controlled or administered by different levels of government or private land owners.

Crown lands in the NWT are public lands under the administration of either the Government of Canada (referred to as Federal Crown lands), or the Government of the Northwest Territories (referred to as Commissioner's land).

Some land is also privately owned.

Before you can proceed with a development project, you may need a land lease to gain access to the land. Land-use permits cover the specific activity you wish to undertake. In the Inuvialuit Settlement Region, they are awarded by Indigenous and Northern Affairs Canada. In other regions, they are awarded by the NWT land and water boards.

For a view of current land ownership and management in the NWT, please use Geoviewer.

Date modified: