Faro Mine Remediation Project Consultation
From Indigenous and Northern Affairs Canada
This consultation began on June 9, 2017 and closed on July 10, 2017.
The Faro Mine Remediation Project team is seeking input on key environmental and socio-economic interests in preparation for the next phase of the project, which includes submitting the remediation plan to the environmental and socio-economic assessment process.
Some examples of environmental and socio-economic interests include:
- water quality
- fish and fish habitat
- local and traditional land uses
- recreational uses
- economic opportunities
- other interests of importance to you
The feedback received will help focus the assessment on key topics of interest as it relates to people, the environment and economy. Your feedback will form part of the submission that the project team will file with the Yukon Environmental and Socio-economic Assessment Board for review.
This consultation is being led by the Faro Mine Remediation Project team, which includes:
- Indigenous and Northern Affairs Canada
- the Government of Yukon' Department of Energy, Mines and Resources
The Faro Mine Remediation Project team is engaging with:
- First Nations affected by the Faro Mine site as identified under the Devolution Transfer Agreement:
- Ross River Dena Council
- Liard First Nation
- Kaska Dena Council
- Selkirk First Nation
- residents of the Yukon communities Faro, Carmacks, and Whitehorse
- local governments
How to participate
There are four ways to participate:
- Fill out the online questionnaire (now closed).
- Attend a community meeting.
- Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Send a letter to the address listed in Contact us.
When and where
Community meetings are being held:
|June 19, 2017||Ross River, Yukon||Ross River School||5 to 8 p.m.|
|June 20, 2017||Town of Faro, Yukon||Sportsman Lounge, recreation centre||5 to 8 p.m.|
|June 22, 2017||Watson Lake, Yukon||Watson Lake Recreation Centre||5 to 8 p.m. (presentation starts at 6)|
|June 27, 2017||Carmacks, Yukon||Carmacks Recreation Centre||6 to 8 p.m.|
|June 28, 2017||Whitehorse, Yukon||Coast High Country Inn (Room A)||6 to 8 p.m.|
|August 9, 2017||Pelly Crossing, Yukon||Link Building||5 to 7 p.m.|
Due to availability, the Pelly Crossing meeting was scheduled after July 10.
There will be ongoing consultation activities in the fall of 2017 as the development of the remediation plan advances.
Faro Mine Remediation Project team
415C-300 Main Street
Whitehorse, Yukon Y1A 2B5
- Date modified: