Safe Drinking Water for First Nations Act: Engagement 2017
From Indigenous and Northern Affairs Canada
From Health Canada
Current status: Open
The engagement started on May 29, 2017
All Canadians should have access to safe, clean, and reliable drinking water.
Indigenous and Northern Affairs Canada, with the support of Health Canada, will work with regional and national First Nation groups to:
- address their concerns regarding the Safe Drinking Water for First Nations Act
- decide on a course of action, with respect to the shared objective of ensuring safe drinking water for the residents of First Nations communities
First Nations are invited to share their views on the act, and to clearly identify priorities going forward regarding safe drinking water and wastewater treatment on First Nation lands.
The Government of Canada will engage with:
- national and regional First Nation representative organizations
- First Nation technical groups
- First Nation communities and other interested parties
While provinces and territories each have their own legally binding safe drinking water standards, First Nations communities do not have comparable legally-enforceable protections. To address this issue, the Safe Drinking Water for First Nations Act came into force on November 1, 2013, and allowed for the development of regulations to ensure access to safe, clean and reliable drinking water and effective treatment of wastewater on First Nation lands.
This engagement will be used to help find long-term actions to ensure safe drinking water for residents of First Nations communities. Summaries of what we heard at the regional meetings will be posted online.
How to participate
There are three ways to participate:
- Attend a regional meeting (for First Nation representative organizations, First Nation technical groups and First Nation communities—by invitation only).
- Send your comments and suggestions by e-mail to ProprePNh2o-cleanFNh2o@aadnc-aandc.gc.ca.
- Send comments and suggestions by mail to the address in the contact us section below.
When and where
Dates and locations of upcoming meetings will be posted as they are confirmed.
|Date||Location||Activity / Event||Participants|
|June 20, 2017||Prince George, BC||Regional discussion session on review of the act||Chiefs and technical authorities|
|June 22, 2017||Richmond, BC||Regional discussion session on review of the act||Chiefs and technical authorities|
Indigenous and Northern Affairs Canada
10 rue Wellington,
Gatineau, Quebec K1A 0H4
- Date modified: