ARCHIVED - Management Letter - Mosakahiken Cree Nation
This Web page has been archived on the Web. Archived information is provided for reference, research or record keeping purposes. It is not subject to the Government of Canada Web Standards and has not been altered or updated since it was archived. Please contact us to request a format other than those available.
Chief and Council
Mosakahiken Cree Nation
MOOSE LAKE, MB S0J 0H0
Ref: 2012-13 Recipient Audit Results and Follow-Up
Dear Chief and Council:
Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development Canada (AANDC) conducted a number of recipient audits in fiscal year 2012-13, including an audit of Mosakahiken Cree Nation. Attached please find a copy of the full audit report and a summary of the report. The summary will be published on the department's website in the coming weeks, along with this management letter. Should you wish to, you may provide a written response to the audit to me within 30 days. Your response will also be posted.
The audit found serious deficiencies in appropriate documentation to support the expenditures claimed. A representative of AANDC will contact you shortly for additional follow up.
The audit report also included the following recommendations, which we advise you and your organization to address:
- The Chief and Council should schedule regular meetings to oversee the operations of the Band and formalize these meetings by preparing agendas and minutes that will confirm Council's positions on topics discussed at the meetings;
- The recipient should develop and implement work plans, policies and procedures, and annual budgets to support staff in the delivery of the Programs;
- The recipient should continue to work to fill the vacant positions and develop job descriptions that clearly define the role and responsibilities of all employees;
- The Director of Finance should update the chart of accounts to match the budget lines identified in the Agreements to support the monitoring process and facilitate reporting;
- The recipient should provide formal training to staff on the software that is being used to process and record its financial transactions to enhance the overall capacity of the Finance Department;
- The recipient should ensure that bank reconciliations are prepared on a monthly basis and that these reconciliations are reviewed and approved by the Chief and Council;
- The recipient should improve its filing system to ensure that all documentation required for the processing of financial transactions is readily accessible and that it is retained for audit purposes;
Management Reporting System
- The recipient should comply with the reporting requirements of the Agreements.
Please contact your regional AANDC representative to discuss any questions or concerns you may have about this audit.
Chief Financial Officer
c.c.: Nancy Kearnan
Spearhead Management Canada Limited
- Date modified: