Lands-Related Permits on Indian Lands


This website will change as a result of the dissolution of Indigenous and Northern Affairs Canada, the creation of Indigenous Services Canada and the eventual creation of Crown-Indigenous Relations and Northern Affairs Canada. During this transformation, you may also wish to consult the updated Indigenous and Northern Affairs home page.

Service standard: Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development Canada's goal is to review, execute, and register complete permit applications that meet all requirements within 15 business days.

Performance target: The target for achieving this standard is 80%, starting April 1, 2013, under normal circumstances.

Performance results:
In 2013-14, the service standard was met 94% of the time.
In 2014-15, the service standard was met 83% of the time.
In 2015-16, the service standard was met 80% of the time.
In 2016-17, the service standard was met 72% of the time.

Applying for lands-related permits on Indian lands:

A permit allows use of specified reserve land for particular interests for a limited time. For permits issued on reserve land, the federal Crown grants the permission for use, based on a band council resolution from the First Nation council or individual locatee(s). Before the permit is submitted to Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development Canada, some preliminary steps to verify the proposed usage of the land and negotiate terms with the First Nations or locatee(s) are required. You can find more information on permits on the Land Management page.

The service standard applies to the following process of departmental review and approval of the authorization:

For more information, please contact:

Daryl Hargitt
Registrar of Indian Lands
Suite 032-Floor 17 - 10 Wellington Street
Gatineau QC K1A 0A4
(819) 743-0563

Service feedback: If service expectations have not been met, complaints and comments may be addressed to

Date modified: