Contact Us

Possible Canada Post service disruption

The Government of Canada has measures in place to ensure that Canadians continue to receive services and benefits during any Canada Post service disruption. In the event of a disruption, Indigenous and Northern Affairs Canada (INAC) will deliver priority mail by messenger service to all regions in Canada.

Priority mail is mail that is urgently required by applicants such as the Temporary Certificate of Registration document and any documents held by INAC such as passports or birth certificates; as well as any mail that is time-sensitive or critical to INAC's operations.

If you are unable to access an auto e-mail feature from your browser, you may wish to manually cut and paste the e-mail address into your e-mail software.

For those clients who are communicating by e-mail, please note that there are occasional difficulties in replying to Internet e-mail due to problems with external systems. Please include your regular mail address and/or your telephone number with your e-mail to ensure that we may contact you in the event of such a problem.

Statistical Enquiries (socio-demographic)

For help with socio-economic and demographic statistics, please call the Contact Centre. Your enquiry will be acknowledged within 3 business days with expected delivery date of the information requested.

Phone (toll-free): 1-800-567-9604
TTY (toll-free): 1-866-553-0554

AANDC Public Enquiries Contact Centre

The Public Enquiries Contact Centre provides information and free publications related to departmental programs and services. The Contact Centre will provide you with the information requested, or send requested publications within three business days following receipt of your request. Please note that some complicated information requests may take up to ten to fifteen business days, or longer, but we will provide you with an estimate of the time required to answer your request within three business days.

Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development Canada
Terrasses de la Chaudière
10 Wellington, North Tower

Gatineau, Quebec
Postal Address:
Ottawa, Ontario
K1A 0H4

Phone (toll-free): 1-800-567-9604
Fax: 1-866-817-3977
TTY (toll-free): 1-866-553-0554

Allegations and Complaints Enquiries

Individuals interested in addressing complaints about the conduct of First Nation/Inuit/Métis government bodies and organizations in relation to the funding of the department and the way those funds are administered, can do so by contacting the Assessment and Investigation Services Branch for a response. The Coordinator's contact information is as follows:

Assessment and Investigation Services Branch
Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development Canada

Room M02
10 Wellington Street

Gatineau, QC
K1A 0H4

Phone (toll-free): 1-855-504-6760
Fax: 819-997-8312

Media Enquiries - Communications

Members of the media who have inquiries on any program area or issue are invited to contact a member of the Public Affairs Unit for a prompt reply. Within one business day you will receive an estimate of how long it will take to respond to your request. (Please note that most standard calls can be handled within one to two business days.)

Phone: 819-953-1160

The Departmental Library

Need help with research on the department, Canadian Aboriginal Peoples or the Canadian North? The Library will provide you with information that is easy to find within three business days. Research for complicated requests may take fifteen to twenty business days, or longer, but we will provide you with an estimate of the time required to answer your request within three business days.

Phone: 819-997-0811

Indian Residential Schools

For general enquiries regarding Indian Residential Schools, please contact:

Indian Residential Schools Settlement Agreement Call Centres

Common Experience Payment (CEP)

(TTY 1-800-926-9105)

The CEP telephone support staff responds to enquiries Monday to Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4.30 p.m. local time, and 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. in Newfoundland.

CEP applicants may call for general inquiries, and for assistance in the completion of applications. This call centre will also answer specific enquiries about the status of an application.

Common Experience Payment (CEP) Response Centre

7 days / week 8:00am - 11:00pm EST

CEP applicants may call the CEP Response Centre for general inquiries, and for assistance regarding their CEP application. This call centre will also answer specific enquires about the status of an application for reconsideration.

Residential School Information Line

7 days / week 8:00am - 11:00pm EST

This call centre will respond to basic questions regarding the IAP, ADR and CEP. They will also mail out IAP and CEP application kits. They are able to confirm the receipt of IAP applications.

Independent Assessment Process (IAP) Info Line

Monday to Friday 8am - 8pm EST

The IAP Info Line is able to respond to a broad range of questions related to the IAP as well as provide claimants and counsel with status updates in regards to specific claims.

Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) Help Desk

Monday to Friday 8:00am - 8:00pm EST

Provides callers with information about the ADR, Litigation, and the National Resolution Framework.

Truth and Reconciliation Commission (TRC)

Truth and Reconciliation Commission Web Site

General Enquiries: or 1-888-872-5554

Media Line:
613-992-8195 or 613-325-6724

The Office of the Interim Executive Director of the TRC can respond by e-mail to general enquiries about the status of the TRC and its mandate.

Health Supports Call Centres

IRS Crisis Line

24 hours / day 7 days / week

Provides immediate and culturally appropriate counseling supports to former students that are experiencing distress.

Health Supports for Former Students of Indian Residential Schools - (Health Canada)

Atlantic Region

Québec Region

Ontario Region

Manitoba Region

Saskatchewan Region

Alberta Region

BC Region

Northern Region (Yukon)

Northern Region (NWT and Nunavut)

Monday to Friday 9:00am - 5:00pm

The Indian Residential Schools Resolution Health Support Program provides the following services: professional counseling, emotional support provided by Resolution Health Support Workers, cultural support provided by Elders, and assistance with the cost of transportation.

Overview of Resolution Sector

Internet Webmaster

For information of a technical nature or regarding the site structure, please contact the webmaster. Your enquiry will be acknowledged within 3 business days with expected delivery date of the information requested or corrective action to a technical problem.