Information for Service Providers: A New Status Card is in Circulation
(230 Kb, 1 Page)
Indian and Northern Affairs Canada is issuing a new Secure Certificate of Indian Status (SCIS), which is:
- an identity document to confirm that the cardholder is registered as
an Indian under the Indian Act
- provided to assist registered Indians in accessing a wide range of entitlements,
programs and services
- an identity document which many service providers use as the main or sole proof that a person is entitled to receive benefits / tax exemption, etc.
New features of the SCIS:
- specialized graphic design elements
- enhanced security features
- Toll-free number to check validity of card
If service providers choose, they can call 1-877- VALIDE-8 (825-4338) and the automated system will indicate if the card's serial number is valid. (i.e. not reported lost or stolen). This is only available for the new SCIS and does not apply to older versions of the Status Cards.
ACCEPTABLE STATUS CARDS:
The new SCIS is being phased in gradually so all previous issued status cards are acceptable until they reach their renewal date.
New Secure Certificate of Indian Status:
Certificate of Indian Status "All-in-One"
Certificate of Indian Status "Pilot Project"
Laminated Certificate of Indian Status
Laminated Certificates of Indian Status that do not contain a renewal date are also acceptable.
For more information, please call 1 800 O-Canada (1-800-622-6232) TTY: 1-800-926-9105
For more information on taxation regulations, please visit the Canada Revenue Agency website or call CCRA Business Enquiries line at 1-800-959-5525.
- Date modified: