Oil, Gas and Energy
Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development Canada has a broad mandate to ensure that responsible economic development proceeds within a sound environmental framework. The department also has a mandate to support Aboriginal people in developing healthy, sustainable communities and in achieving their economic and social aspirations.
How does the department responsibly administer and manage oil and gas resources in the Northwest Territories?
Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development Canada - NWT Region works closely with the department’s Northern Oil and Gas Branch to administer and manage oil and gas resources in the NWT under the Canada Petroleum Resources Act and the Canada Oil and Gas Operations Act .
Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development Canada - NWT Region:
- Provides general guidance to Aboriginal groups, federal departments, territorial governments and the oil and gas industry on regulatory requirements, as well as on exploration and production projects
- Acts as a liaison between the Northern Oil and Gas Branch, Aboriginal groups and companies carrying out oil and gas operations in the NWT region
- Consults with communities and Aboriginal groups on the oil and gas rights issuance processes within the different settlement regions
- Builds relationships among communities and industry through increased understanding of cultural traditions and industry practices
- Reviews and approves Benefits Plans as required under the Canada Petroleum Resources Act and consults communities on the contents of the Plans
- Addresses oil and gas related issues, including: regulatory process, exploration challenges, land claims, land access and land use planning, and socio-economic matters
You may also be interested in: