Environment and Conservation
In the NT Region, INAC plays an important role in promoting environmental protection and ecological sustainability. The Department provides programs and services that support a made-in-the-North model for environmental stewardship.
NEW Proposed amendments to the Mackenzie Valley Land Use Regulations pursuant to the Mackenzie Valley Resource Management Act (MVRMA) - Consultation Document
NEW 2010 NWT Environmental Audit
The second report to audit the effectiveness of environmental management in the Northwest Territories (NWT) was released by the Honourable John Duncan, Minister of Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development. The audit evaluates the quality of the environment in the Mackenzie Valley by assessing three key areas: the NWT regulatory regime; the monitoring of cumulative impacts; and trends in the environment. It is intended to ensure that responsible economic development occurs within a sound environmental management framework.
How does INAC support environmental protection and ecological sustainability within the Northwest Territories?
Environmental protection and ecological sustainability are supported by two divisions within the INAC NT Region:
- Environmental Policy and Planning is responsible for the Environmental Stewardship Framework (previously the Cumulative Effects Assessment and Management Strategy and Framework or CEAMF), NWT Cumulative Impact Monitoring Program, NWT Environmental Audit, NWT Protected Areas Strategy, Interim Resource Management Assistance Program and reviewing regional land use plans.
- Environmental Assessment and Agreements is responsible for coordinating INAC's participation in environmental assessments, actively working on coordinating environmental management with other governments and stakeholders to improve the environmental assessment process in the NWT and managing environmental agreements.
What information is available?
In this section, you will find information on INAC's environment and conservation program areas:
- Environmental Stewardship Framework (previously known as the Cumulative Effects Assessment and Management Strategy and Framework or CEAMF)
- NWT Cumulative Impact Monitoring Program
- Regional Land Use Planning
- NWT Environmental Audit
- NWT Protected Areas Strategy
- Environmental Assessment
- Environmental Agreements
- Environmental Management Coordination
- Date modified: