New Status Cards

Author: (Indian & Inuit Services)
Date: (July 2007)

PDF Version   (780 Kb, 4 pages)


Table of Contents

Summer 2007

New Status Cards

Coming in 2008

Front of new status card
Back of new status card

Please note that this is only a prototype.

The Certificate of Indian Status, more commonly referred to as a 'status card', is an official form of identification issued by Indian and Northern Affairs Canada (INAC) to a person registered as an Indian under the provisions of the Indian Act. In 2008, new, more secure cards will be issued. The new card, similar to a credit card, is a more reliable, valid and secure form of identification and can be used to access federal programs and services such as non-insured health benefits and treaty annuities.

The NWT Regional office in Yellowknife will process all applications for the new card in the North. In order to apply for your new card, two (2) pieces of identification (ID) must be shown. The NWT health card is not a valid piece of ID. Completed cards will be mailed back to the communities and you will need to sign for the card when you pick it up. Until the new cards are received, the old cards will continue to be used.

If you have questions about your current status card, have lost yours or would like more information about the new cards, please contact Indian and Inuits Services in Yellowknife at (867) 669-2622 or toll free at 1-888-414-4340.

INAC staff will be taking photos for the new cards during the Treaty Party visits next year in 2008.

Band Elections

First Nation Bands in the NWT were established without a land base - they are not reserves, and therefore, are not governed by the election provisions of the Indian Act. As a result, Indian and Northern Affairs Canada (INAC) has no formal role to play in internal band governance.

Elections are conducted in accordance with the Band's own election code. Band members must agree on and ratify this code so issues can be resolved in accordance with the election code. Election codes should clearly explain and outline the nomination and election processes, eligibility, voting and recall procedures and include an appeal mechanism and review process as well as an amending formula. Bands are encouraged to develop, ratify and implement election codes with the input and support of the Band members.

Upon request, INAC will work with the First Nation to help them develop an election code, review draft codes and offer input and suggestions. The Band Council should file a copy of the ratified election code as well as any amendments to the document with INAC, Indian and Inuit Services.

Field Services (previously called Funding Services)

Funding Services has changed its name to Field Services. The division will still carry out all of the previous Funding Services functions including; all Band Support, Tribal and core funding, and will now be more proactive in providing community support as well.

What does this mean to you as a client? The division is moving away from simply being a funding unit and towards being more active and visible in NWT communities. Field Services will now focus on working with Aboriginal people, local governments, and agencies to increase mutual understanding, build better relationships and improve services.

Field Services staff will be visiting communities and establishing better communications with the clients. The purpose of the visits and the kind of information Field Services provides is determined by the community. So far, Field Services has given presentations on the roles and responsibilities of Chief and Council, band administrator information, and explained funding agreements. Field Services staff will work with the community to make the most of the visit and ensure INAC is meeting the needs of the community.

If you would like to arrange a community visit, please contact Mike Roesch at (867) 669-2548 or toll free at 1-888-414-4340.

Other Information

Indian Residential School Settlement

The Indian residential schools settlement has been approved by the Courts. Now former students and their families must decide whether to stay in the settlement agreement or remove themselves (opt out). If you would like to receive a payment from the settlement, please call 1-866-879-4913 or go to the website –   and ask for a claim form to be mailed to you when they are ready – forms will be mailed after August 20, 2007. If you choose this option, you cannot sue the Government of Canada or the churches that are part of the settlement ever again.

If you opt out of the settlement, you will not get any money from the settlement. However, you will keep the right to sue over residential schools in the future.

To opt out, you must complete, sign and mail an Opt Out Form by August 20, 2007. You can get the form by calling 1-866-879-4913 or go to the website   to have a form sent to you.

If you do nothing, you get no payment and give up the right to sue.

For more information on the settlement, contact:

Residential Schools Settlement
Suite 3-505
133 Weber Street North
Waterloo, Ontario N2J 3G9


Treaty Payments 2007

The Treaty Party visited NWT communities between April and June to make treaty payments.

Northern Women in Mining, Oil and Gas Project – Free training

The Status of Women Council in the NWT recently announced a $1.7 million project to help women who would like to enter trades and industry jobs. Women, especially Aboriginal women, are under-represented in industrial/trade jobs. The program will provide women with information about the training and skills needed to work in a trade/industry job. The free women-only skill development courses include carpentry, electrical, mechanics and plumbing as well as workplace readiness and female specific support and encouragement.

Information sessions will be held throughout the NWT during the summer and will offer information about the program – how to apply, the assessment process, financial assistance, etc. The schedule has not been determined yet so watch the newspaper and listen to the radio for further details. Applicant assessments will happen this summer and classes start in October 2007.

For more information on this project, please contact or visit:

Status of Women Council's Project office
4th floor
Northwest Tower
Yellowknife, NT

Renae Agrey, Project Manager,
Toll free: 1-888-234-4485
Telephone: (867) 920-8030
Email:  .

Indian and Inuit Services Contact Information

Lands and Trust (Registration, Revenue and Band Governance)
Rose Ann McPherson, Membership Clerk - (867) 669-2622

Economic Development
Neela Naidoo, Economic Development Coordinator - (867) 669-2625

Strategic Investment in Northern Economic Development
Jennifer Knutson, Administrative Assistant - (867) 669- 2627

Director's Office
Pat Knutson, Administrative Coordinator - (867) 669-2617

Toll Free 1-888-414-4340
Fax: (867) 669-2711

Street Address:
4920 - 52nd Street
5th Floor, Precambrian Building
Yellowknife, NT

Mailing Address:
P.O. Box 2760
Yellowknife, NT X1A 2R1

Published under the authority of the Minister of Indian Affairs and Northern Development and Federal Interlocutor for Métis and Non-Status Indians,
Ottawa, 2007
1-800-567-9604 TTY only 1-866-553-0554
Print version: QS-Y290-000-EE-A1 Catalogue No.R2-481/2007E ISBN 978-0-662-46322-1
Online version: QS-Y290-000-EE-A1 Catalogue: R2-481/2007E-PDF ISBN: 978-0-662-46323-8
© Minister of Public Works and Government Services Canada
Cette publication est aussi disponible en français sous le titre: Bulletin sur les Services aux Autochtones et aux Inuits, Été 2007