Other Government Programs and Services
Children, Youth and Education
- Aboriginal Head Start provides support for preschool children and their parents.
- First Nations/Inuit Child Care Initiative gives parents a chance to work or learn. Child care spaces are located in 407 First Nations and Inuit communities across Canada.
- The Youth Employment Strategy offers programs for young people aged 15-30.
- Federal Student Work Experience Program (FSWEP) provides an opportunity to earn while you gain valuable work experience.
- The Junior Canadian Rangers offer programs for youth aged 12 to 18 living in remote or isolated communities.
Jobs and Training
- The Aboriginal Human Resources Development Strategy Aboriginal Human Resources Development Agreement holders in First Nations across Canada have programs to help provide skills and experience to First Nations individuals.
- The Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation partners with First Nations and others on assistance programs and innovative financing techniques to meet housing needs on and off reserve. Examples of programs include the Loan Insurance Program, the On-Reserve Non-profit Housing Program, and the On-Reserve Residential Rehabilitation Assistance Program.
Land and Environment
- The Aboriginal Fisheries Strategy works to ensure that the Aboriginal fishery is managed effectively and co-operatively.
- Natural Resources Canada's programs and services provide useful tools to assist Aboriginal people to manage their own lands and resources and to participate more fully in Canada's natural resource-based economy.
Arts and Culture
- The Canada Council for the Arts offers programs to help artists create and present their work. All Canada Council programs are available to Aboriginal artists and non-profit arts organisations. In addition, there are several council programs open only to Aboriginal artists and arts organisations.
- The Museums Assistance Program makes money available to Canadian museums and related organisations. If you are interested in creating an Aboriginal museum you may be eligible for support.
Justice, Legal Issues and Taxation
- Alternatives to the justice system are available to Aboriginal people, particularly youth.
- Date modified: