First Nation community infrastructure
Budget 2016 announced approximately $4 billion to improve First Nations community infrastructure through Indigenous and Northern Affairs Canada's programs. Beginning in 2016-2017, Budget 2016 will invest:
- $1.8 billion over five years to improve on reserve water and wastewater infrastructure
- $409 million over five years to improve solid waste management on reserve
- $969.4 million over five years to First Nations education infrastructure on reserve
- $416.6 million over two years to address housing needs on reserve
- $255 million over two years to the First Nation Infrastructure Fund
- $76.9 million over two years to support cultural and recreational infrastructure on reserve
To learn more about how to access this funding, contact your INAC regional office to make sure your community infrastructure proposals are included in your First Nation Infrastructure Investment Plan.
Indigenous and Northern Affairs Canada (INAC) works with First Nation governments and communities to support adequate and sustainable housing, clean drinking water and community infrastructure such as schools, roads, and wastewater systems, which are essential to healthy, safe and prosperous communities.
Learn how INAC helps First Nations provide sustainable housing on reserve.
Find out how the Government of Canada works with First Nations to improve drinking water and wastewater systems on reserve.
Find out how INAC works with First Nations to provide financial and advisory assistance to First Nations in the development of education facilities.
Find out how the First Nations Infrastructure Investment Plan helps First Nations build and maintain infrastructure in their communities.
Learn about INAC's efforts to support and fund community infrastructure for First Nations on reserve.
Learn how the First Nations Infrastructure fund helps First Nation communities develop their public infrastructure to improve the quality of life for First Nations.
Find out about the initiatives taken to ensure Indigenous communities have access to reliable high-speed Internet.
Learn about the different stages of a community infrastructure project on reserve.
Find out about funding available for solid waste management projects on reserve.
- Date modified: