Backgrounder - Implementing the TBS Policy and Directive on Transfer Payments at AANDC
In 2006, the Independent Blue Ribbon Panel on Grants and Contributions undertook a review and provided recommendations on how to improve accountability and management of grant and contribution programs.
In response to the Panel’s report, the Treasury Board Secretariat (TBS) developed an action plan to reform the administration of grants and contributions and issued a TBS Policy and Directive on Transfer Payments . The Policy and Directive apply to all federal departments involved in grant and contribution activities.
To comply with the TBS Policy and Directive, Aboriginal Affairs and Northern Development Canada (AANDC) made administrative changes to departmental business processes, program terms and conditions and funding agreement requirements.
Guided by this policy, AANDC’s work involves enhancing:
- Recipient engagement in the design or re-design of a program;
- Departmental service standards;
- Flexible funding relationships with recipients;
- Opportunities to harmonize our funding agreements with those of other federal departments to help reduce the reporting burden for recipients.
- Frequently Asked Questions – Implementing the TBS Policy and Directive on Transfer Payments at AANDC
- Date modified: